Back to top

About us

Since 1995, we’ve been providing A1 accountancy services to our clients, steered by our watertight values and principles.



With three comprehensive packages and a number of add-ons, we can equip you with everything you need to help you ride the waves of contracting.



Whatever you’re searching for, our scope of industry knowledge and resources can help.


Tax Returns

Don’t let your annual tax return wash you out – let our tax return service help.

Completing your self-assessment tax return

Anyone who works for themselves, whether that’s as a sole trader, a freelancer, a contractor or running their own business, will need to complete a self-assessment tax return unless they are taxed under PAYE and have no additional tax to pay on other income such as dividends. For many people, this is a daunting task, not to mention one that they put off for months for fear that they will make a mistake or simply not know what to include.

Completing your self-assessment tax return can be a time-consuming process. Whilst Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) do provide guidelines on what you need to include and how to calculate your income and expenditure, their basic guidelines run to 35 pages, which can be a lot to plough through when you have a business to run. Add in the pressure of the deadline looming at the end of January, and you can see why so many people dread tax return time.

However, there is no need to put yourself through the stress of uncertainty in order to fulfil your obligations to HMRC: an experienced accountant can complete and submit your tax return for you and ensure that every element of it is completed correctly as well as helping you to identify areas where you could save money on your bill.

At Nixon Williams, our accountants all specialise in dealing with the finances of small businesses, contractors and the self-employed so we have in-depth knowledge of all the latest legislation, we know what you can deduct as expenses and we know the best ways to organise your finances. When you complete hundreds of tax returns every year, you soon learn how to get the job done quickly and efficiently, so our accountants can talk you through the whole process so that you know what they will need from you and make it as easy as possible.

Our self-assessment tax return service is perfect for self-employed individuals and those running small businesses – we know that you don’t want to spend too much time or money on it, so we offer an efficient service for a great price.

We know that the tax return system throws up a lot of questions from general questions about the submission deadlines and payment dates to specific queries about whether you might be able to deduct certain costs as expenses. As such, we have put together some frequently asked questions to provide some information about the issues which we know come up most often:

Why do I need to complete a tax return?

Your self-assessment tax return is used by HMRC to calculate your tax liabilities, including any amounts you owe or sums that you might have overpaid.

When you submit the information about your turnover and expenditure, including the amount you have earned, any capital gains that might have been made on assets you own through your business and any deductible costs, all of which are used to calculate your total income. The amount that you owe in tax for each year is then calculated based on those figures.

Do I need to complete a tax return?

The majority of people are employed by a business or organisation and have their tax deducted at source, using the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system. This means that the company they work for deducts their tax and pay it direct to HMRC automatically.

However, for the majority of the self-employed, whether that is their main job or in addition to traditional employment, will need to complete a self-assessment tax return in order to be taxed appropriately on their earnings by HMRC.

For most people, the first thing they will do when they decide to work on a self-employed basis is to let HMRC know of their intentions. They will then send you details of the self-assessment system with log-in details so that you can access the online service to file your tax return and pay any money you owe. They will also send you reminders about the relevant deadlines to ensure that you have ample time to complete your tax return and avoid being subject to fines and penalties for late filing or payment.

You can let HMRC know that you are working for yourself by calling them or completing the registration process online through HMRC’s website and you should do this as soon as you can to ensure that you aren’t penalised for failing to keep your records up to date.

Where do I start with my tax return?

For many people, the process of completing their tax return can be a little confusing. Unless you are an accountant, the rules and regulations which apply to various different aspects of income and expenditure can seem impossible to understand.

When you start working for yourself, your workload includes everything that you might need to do to make your business a success, from marketing and advertising to admin and ordering stationery. You may find that managing your finances is more complex than you might have expected as you will need to keep records of all the money you spend in the course of your business as well as how much you earn.

If you are new to running a business, it may come as a surprise to learn how complex the taxation system is. Even for businesses which seem simple, it is easy to make a mistake on your tax return which could cost you a lot of money in penalties when it is discovered. Using an accountant is an easy way to make sure that you include everything you need to on your tax return as well as filing it on time and you will usually be able to save money on your tax bill as well by making sure you don’t pay more than you need to.

Anyone who wants to complete their tax return without professional assistance will need to know that there are two options for completing their tax returns, which have separate deadlines:

A paper tax return– as the name suggests, this is a physical form which you need to fill in by hand and returned by 31st October every year. It is your responsibility to ensure that it arrives with HMRC by the deadline in order to avoid a fine.

Online tax return– the HMRC website has a self-assessment tax return feature which allows you to complete the whole process through their website. Because everything is calculated automatically, there is a later deadline for this process so you can complete it at any point up until the 31st of January (this has been extended this year to 28th February 2022 for this year). The system allows you to begin filing your form in and save it as you go so you don’t need to complete the whole thing in one session and can check your records, seek advice and alter any mistakes before you submit it.

What details do I need to include in my tax return?

If you have an accountant, they will tell you exactly what you need for your tax return and help you to identify which information is relevant. In general, you will need to have the details of:

  • Your annual turnover or income coming in from your business over the course of the year. This is usually the amount you have invoiced clients for, or the number of sales you have made in the relevant period.
  • Interest that you may have earned on money in your bank account.
  • Additional income you may have earned through other employment during the relevant period, either from working part- or full-time for an employer, or for a period during the tax year before you became self-employed. You should have a P45 or P60 detailing these earnings if this applies to you.
  • Any income you have made from renting property and other allowable expenses relating to this income.
  • Any expenses you have incurred in the course of doing business where these come under the heading of ‘allowable’ expenses as determined by HMRC. As a general rule, costs related to your business such as purchasing stock or travelling to meet clients can all be deducted, but the guidelines on what you can claim are over 100 pages long, so seeking professional advice is a really good idea if you want to be absolutely certain.
  • Details of any tax which you have already paid as deductions from your income over the relevant period.
  • Details of National Insurance Contributions paid over the course of the year.

You will need to have all this information to hand to be able to complete your tax return, and it is also a really good idea to keep records, receipts and any other related paperwork for anything that relates to your business. You will not need to include these with your tax return, but HMRC can ask to see details of your books in order to check that everything you have told them is accurate. Keeping records makes it easier to complete your tax return as you have all the correct information to hand.

Many people like to keep a spreadsheet with details of all their invoices, expenses and other financial information together. You can track your expenditure on items such as stationery, marketing, phone costs, travel expenses and anything else you buy for your business. This will then allow you to calculate your profits by deducting your expenditure from your income, which is a good way of keeping track of your finances as well as helpful for completing your tax return.

Those who are self-employed are legally obliged to keep these records for five years after the tax return deadline, so for details of your 2020/21 tax return submitted by January 31st 2022, you will need to keep the relevant records until January 31st 2027. Companies have to keep these records for six years, and failure to do so on either part can result in fines of up to £3000.

What expenses are allowed on my tax return?

Self-employed individuals usually have some costs associated with running their business, and whilst some are clearly business-related, such as stock or a website, some are less clear cut. For example, if you work from home, you might be entitled to claim some of your heating bills as expenses on your tax return but working out what proportion can be difficult as some of your bill will cover heating your home for times when you aren’t working. If you use your car for both business and personal use, then you need to work out what proportion you use it for work and that will be an allowable expense.

You may find it easier to identify which costs are related to your business by having a separate work account as this will enable you to use your dedicated account just for your business expenditure. Expenses can be one of the more complicated areas of tax, so it is worth taking advice from professionals if you are not sure about any aspect of it.

How do I complete my tax return?

You can complete your own Self-Assessment Tax Return, but it can seem complicated and incredibly difficult, especially if you aren’t sure about the finer points of the regulations. You could miss something crucial which will leave you potentially facing a fine, or you could leave out information which could save you money on your tax bill and end up paying too much that way.

If you have any concerns about filling in your self-assessment tax return, you may benefit from using an accountant who will ask you for the relevant information and complete all the paperwork on your behalf, saving you time, stress and probably money too.

What are the deadlines for submitting my tax return?

  • If you wish to complete a paper tax return, then you will need to ensure that HMRC receive it by 31st October.
  • If you wish to complete the online form, then you will have to submit it by 31st January.

You will be sent a reminder of these deadlines by HMRC, but if you use an accountant they will usually make sure you have everything organised well in advance anyway.

What if I am late completing my tax return?

Unless your tax return is received by 31st January, you will be fined £100 plus interest on any tax which is unpaid by this deadline. These penalties can be applied even if you don’t owe any tax as HMRC need to know your status either way.

If you still have an outstanding tax bill by 28th February, you will be charged a further 5% on any tax that you still owe at that time.

What is the deadline for paying my tax bill for 2021/22?

Anyone who has commenced self-employment during the 2021/22 tax year will need to complete their first self-assessment tax return by 28th February 2023. This will also be the deadline for paying your tax bill, as well as your first ‘payment on account’ to pay in advance for your tax bill for the next year.

If you wish to save yourself the stress of completing your tax return yourself, not to mention find out if you could be saving money on your tax bill, then our accountants are on hand. Our swift and efficient service will ensure that you have everything you need to file your return and pay your bill on time, saving money and avoiding fines as you do so.

Get in touch on 01253 362062 for more information on how we could help you.

Request a call back

From time to time we would like to contact you with news and updates about our services. Please review our privacy policy to see how we use your data.